Saturday, September 26, 2015








These two photos represent my Saturday morning of the Papal visit to Philadelphia.   About ten clerics stand between me and the Pope in the Cathedral.  Pope Francis came to celebrate Mass for local clergy, religious and lay people.    He looked a little tired and did not seem to have the lightness of spirit that he displayed earlier in his visit to the United States.  (At Independence Hall he seemed to have recovered some of the spirit that he had shown elsewhere.)  Later I found out that the Pope is very reverent at liturgies and does not entertain spontaneity or lightness of spirit in the liturgical forum.

The Mass was partially in Latin and the ceremonies were elaborate.

I tried to go in person to see the Gesu School children perform at Logan Circle very near the Cathedral but security issues were daunting.   So after Mass I made my way home on foot.   But lo, when I got to 16th and Spring Garden, the Gesu dancers were being announced on the jumbotron.  So I got to see them up close if not personal.   They danced the Argentinian tango and then broke out into the Philly jitterbug well known through American Bandstand.   A crowd going by broke into cheers when the dancing boys did their leap frog over one another.

No comments: