Saturday, September 22, 2018

Kingfishers and Dragonflies

Kingfishers and Dragonflies

Last year while off to the Abbey of the Genesee for retreat and rest, I was entertained by two Kingfishers actively feeding in a stream near the retreat house.  This year I happened to see one but it was quietly perched over the water.  Not feeding time?

But I did note the dragonflies.





One curiously attempted a landing on my head.    White patterns on its wings and body.   Another steel blue.  Another using a strong dry branch in the wind.   For twenty minutes on end it eyed its prey and did its own feeding.  And curious about me, too.

I was reminded of Hopkins' poem:

As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame...
Each mortal thing does one thing and the same...
Crying What I do is me: for that I came.

And reminded, too, of this simple Hiaku penned by a Gesu student about an unlikely sight there on North Philadelphia's Thompson St.

A butterfly lands on a leaf.
I look at it.
It looks back at me.

No comments: