Sunday, April 17, 2016

Good Shepherd Sunday April 17, 2016

   

I AM THE GOOD SHEPHERD

........I wonder what image Jesus would use today in our culture.    Since we know little about sheep and their predators, the title that Jesus adopts as good shepherd has little impact on us.  In our daily lives, rather, our anxieties center both around small matters such as the dependability of our automobiles and also around global matters of terrorism and global warming.     We need good auto mechanics, we need good homeland security, we need good scientists to support us and guide us not only in everyday life but when we consider the world that we are leaving to our children. 



I will let your own imaginations create Jesus' “I am” phrases of protection and enlightenment that best accompany today’s culture.   Admittedly “I am a trustworthy auto mechanic, my customers know me and I know them” might not ring as appealing as the biblical phrases but if we are on a long journey we might want such a Jesus in the back seat.   Back seat, front seat! Such placements recall a short poem, an insight by a high school student picturing himself and Jesus on a bicycle built for two.   The poem came to the conclusion that it was better by far to have Jesus in the front seat steering while the poet on the back seat simply pedaled as well as he could. Should the poet allow, Jesus says clearly, " I am a front-seat driver."

No comments: