Wednesday, December 23, 2015

"Mister, it's Christmas"


The creche at the Jesuit Center in Wernersville


MERRY CHRISTMAS!


"MISTER, IT'S CHRISTMAS"


Some years ago just a few days before Christmas I was doing the grocery shopping for my small Jesuit community. I went to my accustomed supermarket at an Aramingo Ave shopping center.  The Avenue serves the needs of the working class neighborhoods in the River Wards of Philadelphia.   

I came out of the store with my cart filled with grocery bags and had the cart pulled up close to the trunk of my car.  A boy of about thirteen instantly appeared offering to help me put the bags in the trunk.   Between my usual preoccupation and thinking to myself that this was just too easy a task, I brushed him off.  I needed no help.  

The boy looked at me convinced that I had violated the basic spirit of the season and he said with an incredulous tone in his voice, “Mister, it’s Christmas.”  Having considered the possibilities of being respectful of my ignorance, he left out the understood “what the hell is the matter with you?”  Of course, he had me and I let him take care of the bags.  I gave him a couple of bucks convinced that he had used with great success that same line, that same innocent-kid tone, all afternoon and evening.  He probably owns the shopping center by now.

For my part in this season I try to remember this boy's line whenever I am feeling less than merry.   I also remember the joy of my own mom and dad on December 24, 193x, the very day they brought their first baby for the first time back from the hospital of her birth ten days before.

Merry Christmas!


No comments: