21st Sunday in Ordinary Time Matthew 16: 13 - 20
Matthew 16: 13-20 Matthew’s gospel account now has come to the middle chapters. They are
a turning point after Jesus’s Sermon on the Mount and after journeys with his
disciples on a mission of healing and public teaching. In these chapters the Pharisees challenge many of the
things that Jesus promotes. Among them
healing on the Sabbath and less strictures about diet and about rules of
cleanliness. Then news comes that John
the Baptist has been brutally killed by Herod.
Here Jesus knows he must reveal himself more directly to the
men and women who have joined him in his teaching and healing. So he feeds the five thousand. So walking on the water he appears to the
disciples. So he drives out demons. And today we hear him make his own identity
clear to his followers and in this action he declares also who his followers
are called to be. He does this with a
general question about the Son of Man, the one mentioned in so many of the
Hebrew Scriptures who will free Israel from the prison of their sins and their
oppressors. Jesus asks his followers, “Who
is the Son of Man?” And they suggest
some names, not one of them fully convincing.
The answers do not reflect any strong opinions. The great prophets are all dead and now even
the Baptist is dead.
Jesus limits the discussion by asking the follow-up most important
question: who do you say that I am?
Here Peter makes a more complete statement of faith than what seems
possible at this point in the story of Jesus:
“You are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God.” Somehow the evangelist Matthew cannot wait
to get the truth out on the table.
And also at the same time, Matthew lets us know how persons
who proclaim such an identity for Jesus are now to be identified. All those who proclaim Jesus as the Messiah
become “rocks” and creators of community for those who are ignorant or
confused, afraid or indifferent. Jesus’s
interrogation is a moment of revelation not only about him but also about
those whose imaginations move them to proclamations about him.
The exchange reminds me of an exercise that a teacher of
adolescents suggested for them. “Take
the sentence “I am imaginary and not real.”
Repeat it and then add a description that further describes yourself.” One lad said. “I am imaginary and not real. I am courageous and not afraid.” A girl said, “I am imaginary and not real. I sing and dance and don’t sulk.”
Using this model Jesus might repeat what Peter says: “I am imaginary and not real. I am the Messiah, the Son of God and not a
failed teacher.” For Jesus the
aspiration as Messiah breaks into reality. What do I say: “I am imaginary and not real. I am a human being dignified in God’s creation,
even a “rock” and not simply sore and stiff and tired with life.” Let’s all take a moment and fill in a
sentence to complete “I am imaginary and not real.”
No comments:
Post a Comment