Friday, February 03, 2017

SAINT BLASE





( Blue Marsh Lake at trail mile 11.4 on February 8, 2017, a spring day right before a snowy one)

We Catholics know February 3 as the feast of St. Blase, the patron saint of healthy throats.   I had my throat blessed today but not also without earlier getting a flu shot.  Also I spent some days this winter fortifying my immune system with Sambucol, an over the counter elderberry remedy.   

Some years ago Dolores Akers recommended this when she happened to be at St. Joseph's Prep with one of her grandsons.   She saw me sniffling and the next day her grandson delivered a supply of Sambucol lozenges for my use.   The relief was immediate and since then I have kept a supply on hand.   A few lozenges always ease and sometimes banish the sore throat.  

It also helps that I live in a huge park and can take healthy walks four or five times a week.   I hope to see Dolores soon and discuss the remedial characteristics of Sambuco, this an elderflower liqueur with an ingredient related to the berry.

No comments: